Please listen to the music player on the right hand column or search through the resources and links.

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

A Personal study

I am often asked where a good place to start studying worship would be.  Here are a few questions to get you started.


What is good Music

1. What is your music style preference?  According to the following passages, does God have a music preference?  If so, list the descriptions of God’s worship/style preference given in the verses. (1 Chron. 25:7; Ps. 29:2; Amos 8:3; Jn. 4:24) 






2. Do God’s preferences matter?  If so, list the phrases that exhort us to search it out.  (Rom. 12:2; Phil. 1:10; Eph. 5:10,17; Heb. 12:28) 







3. How does God characterize the music of the world (in these verses) and do you see any comparisons to certain types of music today?  (Ex. 32:17; Ps. 69:12; Eccl. 7:5; Is. 23:15) 







4. What are the main 3 music styles that God clearly describes. (Eph. 5:19; Col. 3:16) 

1)

2)

3)


5. How is the ideal worshipper described in Eph. 5:18-20 and Col. 3:16?  





6. In Phil. 4:8, what words apply to morality and what words apply to beauty?  Is beauty merely in the eye of the beholder (just a matter of opinion) or does God actually have a standard for beauty as well as for morality and how might that relate to our worship? 












7. Examine the lyrics of the following songs and indicate if there is anything unbiblical. Explain.


I Then Shall Live
(To the music of "Be still my Soul")
Words by Gloria Gaither


I then shall live as one who’s been forgiven;
I’ll walk with joy to know my debts are paid.
I know my name is clear before my Father;
I am His child, and I am not afraid.
So greatly pardoned, I’ll forgive my brother,
The law of love I gladly will obey.

I then shall live as one who’s learned compassion;
I’ve been so loved that I’ll risk loving too.
I know how fear builds walls instead of bridges;
I’ll dare to see another’s point of view.
And when relationship demand commitment,
Then I’ll be there to care and follow through.

Your kingdom come around and through and in me;
Your power and glory, let them shine through me;
Your Hallowed name, O may I bear with honor,
And may You living Kingdom come in me.
The Bread of Life, O may I share with honor,
And may You feed a hungry world through me.


Unbiblical thoughts/theology.










8. Examine the lyrics of the following songs and indicate if there is anything Biblical and list references.


It is well with my soul
Horatio Spafford

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say,
It is well, it is well with my soul


Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ hath regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.

My sin—oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!—
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!

For me, be it Christ, be it Christ hence to live:
If Jordan above me shall roll,
No pang shall be mine, for in death as in life
Thou wilt whisper Thy peace to my soul.

But, Lord, ’tis for Thee, for Thy coming we wait,
The sky, not the grave, is our goal;
Oh, trump of the angel! Oh, voice of the Lord!
Blessed hope, blessed rest of my soul!

And Lord, haste the day when the faith shall be sight,
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
Even so, it is well with my soul.


Refrain:
It is well with my soul,
It is well, it is well with my soul.



Biblical thoughts/theology and references. 







No comments:

Post a Comment